Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » AOMPRO   » DM Forum   » Raiders Guide to 1v1 (Part 2 Huns)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raiders Guide to 1v1 (Part 2 Huns)
ShaGi_ThuGz Administrator 
PiMP
Member # 266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShaGi_ThuGz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said before the Huns and Goths are much different from any other in playing style. The key to success with Huns I believe is effective raiding. The Huns mainly rely upon good Cavalry as well as Archery range units not Siege like other Civs which quite obviously weakens their army as a whole. But this does not mean that they themselves are a weak force they just have to be used properly. The Key to setting up the pins so you can knock them down is the initial rush, a rush of a few Paladin should do well. First off the Huns don't need houses making it much easier to focus on economy and military production so in the beginning make 2 stables and one Archery Range also cue 15 vills. get each of the two vills making stables to work on two different stables and tell each vill to make 4 stables. Once your scout gets to the enemy base harass enemy villagers in order to hurt the enemy's start then set a gather point to the enemy base for Paladin. Little tip, send your scout to the berry patch in the enemy base you're almost 100% guaranteed to find the enemy base. With more villagers build more stables (the next vill) and the next to make archery ranges. Once the rush has begun its you decision on how hard you want to rush if you see you can kill them with the rush go for it but the second your Paladin have no effect on enemy villagers dont send anymore Paladin you're simply wasting them. From archery ranges send Cav Archers to a point a bit in front of the enemy base along with Paladin the Cav Archers will mow down a counter attack of Halbs if you can get enough out there in time. With about your 9th Villager (counting the 3 origionals) send one to build a castle in front of the enemy base in order to give them a main target as well as being able to order up trebs. In order to stop the enemy from expanding send about 3-10 Pals to each side of the enemy base to harass enemy vills but be sure to build on this land with a few villagers making Stables, Archery Ranges and a Castle. By having the castle and a small troop concentration in front of the enemy base that should keep the enemy busy fighting there busy enough not to notice the buildings being made outside of his LOS on the sides. Of course sometimes they will see them and counter attack but if you have vills there early enough to have a castle up or some archery ranges and stables up to put up a fight you should be able to keep it. With a castle they will need to treb it but the enemy trebs should be taken down by your own Paladin. The enemy will have Halbs near his Trebs but have you ever seen someone stop a group of 12 determined Pals from knocking out a treb? sure the Pals may have costed more but it gives you a chance to build there and get some trebs and Cav Archers so you can bring the fight to another part of their base. While the Enemy is preoccupied with the army you have in front of them (and possibly the one on the side) you can build either Paladin or Hussars on the other side to raid. By building on all sides of the enemy base you have obtained a grip on the map. This ensures a safe and strong economy which is needed for any raiding civ. While your men are fighting at this point micro management is not 100% necessary i personally use this time to get Vills to build Town Centers on Gold patches, it only take about 10 seconds to get a TC started on Gold patches around the map anyway. Be sure to get the Gold patches closest to the enemy base this way if they do spread they cannot take extra Gold stocks and from there you can work your way back. When raiding Paladin or Hussars are suggested, each has its high and low points. Paladin cost a lot of Gold so if you're low on Gold Paladin are not suggested as well as if the enemy's base is swarming with Halbs its just a waste of Gold. Hussars are often referred to as "Free" because they only cost food and people mainly use Gold but an experience Raider civ user always balances his spending. Spending excesses in order to keep their economy strong in all areas. Hussars are great if you have large amount of food you're not using and in the right conditions can really hurt enemy Villagers as well as Siege such as Onagers and Trebs. The point of raiding is keeping control of the map giving you a strong economy and easy to defend stance in the game where as the enemy a limited space to build in, limited resources and a difficult to defend base due to attacks coming from all sides. When using Huns and Goths expect to lose a lot of men thats why a strong economy is needed so when i hit 5000 food i begin to really work on my farming, farms are very important because when you don't use Siege as one of your main weapons you tend to use large amounts of food. If you do drop drastically low on food do not worry if you have enough farmers they can bring in 1000 food in no time so until you do get some use Cavalry Archers in larger numbers since they need Gold and Wood no Food. That is balancing your economy by spending excesses and avoiding spending resources which are scarce. By continually raiding even if it does not accomplish much by attacking from different sides everytime this will keep the enemy in his base for fear that if he sends a large attack he will only lose his base from behind. Once you send in raiders feel free to get 2 or 3 trebs to hit a bit farther into the enemy base on for instance a castle because the enemy will be so busy killing raiders you will probably have time to take out that castle this will not only cost him a large amount of stone but also bring down his production limit. The longer you keep the enemy in his base the more resources you can gather and the more he has to spend until he is struggling to field armies. Hitting enemy houses also will cripple them if they have no more space to build houses of have to struggle to make them fit and take the time to build more this will give you a brief period to have a higher numbers advantage and also give you a chance to pull off the final act of attacking from all sides simultaneously.
So be sure to remember
-Balance your spending
-Farm when you need to and in high numbers
-Raid with whatever is most effective
-Raid from all sides
-Target Villagers especially in the early on
-Target enemy trebs if they attack castles
-While raiding work on econ let the raiders do what they want they're just buying time
-Gather gold close to the enemy first
-Do not let the enemy escape
-If he sends a large force outside of his base to attack you do not pursue take this time to pound his base
-Always have Castles near large groups of vills not only for protection but so they can garrison and you won't lose as many
-Treb while raiding
-Sell resources you know you won't use
-Stop the rush once you have enough Cav Archers
-Use Castles to secure areas on the map
Please keep in mind no article or strat will apply perfectly to a game skill and improvisation win games not a strategy. Speed, experience, and finessed building win games. This is meant to give you ideas of what to do and what can be done. Lots of this is in use by several gamers and this has been patched together from what i have learned from others and what i have learned personally so please use certain ideas in this article and apply it to your style of play and you will learn after enough games what to do. You will no longer have to think of what to build or where you will just do it without even thinking about it thats when you know you have truly learned something but i'am always learning myself and refining my play so experience is key. If anybody has any requests for future articles ZM me or post a reply i'll get on it....
VOTE HAMIRO FOR MILITARY/WAR/POLITICS FORUM!!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 4404 (0.59 per day) | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001 (7461 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PiMP
Member # 266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShaGi_ThuGz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note i do not play hun wars so this article is not applicable to them....

--------------------
 -

Posts: 4404 (0.59 per day) | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001 (7461 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa well hunswars must have changed then..here is my strat I used along time ago when I still played that made me win ALOT.

(modified from mason)

3 vils on mrkt. 4th on mrkt. Build 4 stables, 10 archery ranges. waypoint in your own base. Get groups of 20 or more to patrol in. Follow up with 4 vils on right side making castle, barracks, and siege rams, vils on left doing same.

i know that was very short, but it worked INCREDIBLY. but now everyone knows about the patrol and no one uses it...oh well I am just happy that I made that strat up lol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PiMP
Member # 266

Rate Member
Hey DJ if ya want i'll ask Jose if i could post his in here for Huns wars (i dont play huns wars and that strat should not be used for them) so if you still play Hun wars i'll ask him....

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol thats okay, before I left, i was friends with Jose and studied his strategy...it really wasnt that good. But he made it that way, and itll be a long post to tell you why.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PiMP
Member # 266

Rate Member
just tell me sometime in a chat or something and trim the fat from the story we'll sve it for story time i guess lol....

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*