Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » Intellectual Zone™   » Military/War/Politics/History Forum   » I really hate Bush ....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I really hate Bush ....
Bronx Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 402

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the leader of the worlds greatest hypocricy ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In his bullish speech to Wall Street on Tuesday, he said that the 'get rich quick' mentality which epitomised the dot-com boom is the reason why corporate America has lost touch with the standards that would have protected it from the recent wave of scandals.

That'll be it then. He also called for the sentences meted out to our fraudster friends to be doubled, and freed up an extra $100m for the Securities and Exchange Commission. A hastily assembled corporate fraud taskforce will also be deployed within the Department of Justice.

And will these measures do any good? Possibly. We all know how anti-business Bush is...

The marvellous Fifth Amendment is proving a bit of a stumbling block to the WorldCom investigation. Former WorldCom CEO Bernie Ebbers and disgraced CFO Scott Sullivan have both pleaded the Fifth to avoid giving evidence - sorry, incriminating themselves - to the House Committee on Financial Services.

Among the questions Ebbers refused to answer for fear of opening himself up to criminal proceedings were "Do you sleep well at night?" and this complex head-scratcher, "Are you a US citizen?"

The Committee was not impressed, with one member ominously saying that Ebbers should be sent to jail to prevent him fleeing to his home country - "wherever that may be".

Ebbers' problem is that he kicked off proceedings by reading a statement declaring his innocence. If you're planning to take the Fifth, you?re not supposed to say anything at all. So by talking and then, when asked specific questions, clamming up like a, er, clam, Ebbers may have been in contempt of court. Silly boy.

It gets better though. Not only did it emerge this week that Ebbers wanted to slash WorldCom's audit budget by 50 per cent before he resigned (see http://www.silicon.com/a54425 ), questions are also being asked about the $400m loan he took from the company a while back.

It appears that he used the money to buy some trees in Canada. Ebbers snapped up a 164,000-acre ranch in British Columbia in 1998 for about $60m. The following year an investment company run by Ebbers bought 460,000 acres of timberland in the US for about $400m.

At a press conference on Wednesday, Richard Breeden, the federal regulator overseeing the WorldCom probe, said: "How do you explain the fact that the board thought it was consistent with its fiduciary duties to lend the CEO $400m so that he could try and buy every tree in Northern Canada?"

If Ebbers keeps hiding behind his constitutional right to remain silent, we may never find out.

Breeden is also a little concerned about quite what the company's board was up to all this time. He said: "Not much attention has been paid to who is on the board and how many of them are cronies of the CEO and how many of them have been there for 25 years and haven't done much thinking in the past 15 years."

This beats any Dallas storyline. Not that any real US companies did anything wrong before the dot-coms came along, eh Mr Bush?

Isn?t curious, then, that this same Mr Bush mysteriously received a low-interest loan from Harken Energy in the 1980s, a company he just happened to be on the board of. He now wants this practice banned. He also sold some of his shares in Harken for $848,000 (?565,000) in 1989, two months before the company reported millions of dollars in losses. The share price fell from $4 in June - when he sold up - to $1 by the end of the year. The SEC investigated that and found no wrong-doing. Still, mud does a habit of sticking. As does the word 'hypocrite'.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 9347 (1.48 per day) | From: Gloucestershire, England | Registered: Feb 2002 (6278 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WaLdO Administrator 
Boing Boing
Member # 576

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaLdO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TRUE i hate Both Bush and Texas

--------------------
 -  -

Posts: 2987 (0.48 per day) | From: OkiE PridE | Registered: May 2002 (6165 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nateddi  
Visitor
Member # 648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nateddi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings,

I myself don't like Bush as well. Namely his close ties to corporate America, and his nature to take hardline stances against other nations with his Axis of Evil and support of the Cuban-Miamian lobby. His administration is also infiltrated with corporate ties and a big oil connection.

[ July 21, 2002, 04:59: Message edited by: nateddi ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 4 (0 per day) | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Jul 2002 (6112 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shagi_Fighter Moderator 
Monkey See Monkey Do
Member # 443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shagi_Fighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELLO HELLO

Maybe when Arkan gets the upload thing working I'll put someone like the Pope in my sig lol.

However just because he is my sig doesn't mean I'm a Bush supporter, but he is the President of the United States. Take a guess at what the theme of my sig is? The monkey kind of throws it off lol, but I think you can get the big picture.

--------------------
 -

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” –Pope John Paul II

Posts: 5935 (0.95 per day) | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2002 (6234 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King Burrito  
Member # 89

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King Burrito     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found a shirt for you guys

http://www.fatwreck.com/merchdetail.php3?sd=PVQPgNHRMXIAADaKPU4&cat_num=152&med_id=4

--------------------
 -

-

http://www2.fanscape.com/Midtown/streetteam/misc/vlrredirect.asp

Posts: 694 (0.1 per day) | From: Viking Hall | Registered: Jun 2001 (6523 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*