Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » AOMPRO   » DM Forum   » Dejango!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dejango!
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Ma$oN-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey bro, call me soon, or maybe you can catch me on ESO, my name is "Yogish". happy? [Smile] now we can dominate...once again!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 7550 (1.16 per day) | From: Shiorwa Middle School... | Registered: Sep 2001 (6462 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
die
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Ma$oN-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey ill go buy aoc tomorrow i guess [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 7550 (1.16 per day) | From: Shiorwa Middle School... | Registered: Sep 2001 (6462 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

hey ill kill you i guess

or you ...umm...yea

have you seen matrix?

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
what time will you be on tomorrow to play? and no i havent, not even the 1st...doesnt appeal to me

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

oh my god...

okay anyway i get out of school at around 12...

i'll just call you

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
hey im getting a nick for the zone right now, you on it? just to chat?

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

I have an idea...

I'm getting on...what's your new name?

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
hmmm lemme pick one...ill tell ya ina sec

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

okay let's make team name

here is how it works

choose a famous philosopher...that has an S in their name

all lower case except for the uppercase S

a _ at the end..

my name is nietzSche_

you could be like... ariStotle_

deScartes_

aquinaS_

or something

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
ok, ill pick out some...damn taken names

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

i think you should be deScartes_
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
i cant think of any more philosophers that have an S in their name..all taken

--------------------
 -

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
any other team ideas?

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~worc0337/phil-chron.html
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
boethiuS_

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

im waiting for ya in dm channel
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
tell me what he did, ive never heard of his name before

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

I haven't heard much about him either, oddly enough...

"Roman statesman and philosopher, often styled "the last of the Romans", regarded by tradition as a Christian martyr, born at Rome in 480; died at Pavia in 524 or 525. Descended from a consular family, he was left an orphan at an early age and was educated by the pious and noble-minded Symmachus, whose daughter, Rusticana, he married. As early as 507 he was known as a learned man, and as such was entrusted by King Theodoric with several important missions. He enjoyed the confidence of the king, and as a patrician of Rome was looked up to by the representatives of the Roman nobility. When, however, his enemies accused him of disloyalty to the Ostrogothic king, alleging that he plotted to restore "Roman liberty", and added the accusation of "sacrilege" (the practice of astrology), neither his noble birth nor his great popularity availed him. He was cast into prison, condemned unheard, and executed by order of Theodoric. During his imprisonment, he reflected on the instability of the favour of princes and the inconstancy of the devotion of his friends. These reflections suggested to him the theme of his best-known philosophical work, the "De Consolatione Philosophiae".

Tradition began very early to represent Boethius as a martyr for the Christian Faith. It was believed that among the accusations brought against him was devotion to the Catholic cause, which at that time was championed by the Emperor Justin against the Arian Theodoric. In the eighth century this tradition had assumed definite shape, and in many places Boethius was honoured as a martyr, and his feast observed on the twenty-third of October. In recent times, critical scholarship has gone to the opposite extreme, and there have not been wanting critics who asserted that Boethius was not a Christian at all, or that, if he was, he abjured the Faith before his death. The foundation for this opinion is the fact that in the "Consolations of Philosophy" no mention is made of Christ or of the Christian religion. A saner view, which seems at the present time to be prevalent among scholars, is that Boethius was a Christian and remained a Christian to the end.

That he was a Christian is proved by his theological tracts, some of which, as we shall see, are undoubtedly genuine. That he remained a Christian is the obvious inference from the ascertained fact of his continued association with Symmachus; and if the "Consolations of Philosophy" bears no trace of Christian influence, the explanation is at hand in the fact that it is an entirely artificial exercise, a philosophical dialogue modelled on strictly pagan productions, a treatise in which, according to the ideas of method which prevailed at the time, Christian feeling and Christian thought had no proper place. Besides, even if we disregard certain allusions which some interpret in a Christian sense, there are passages in the treatise which seem plainly to hint that, after philosophy has poured out all her consolations for the benefit of the prisoner, there are more potent remedies (validiora remedia) to which he may have recourse. There can be no reasonable doubt, then, that Boethius died a Christian, though it is not easy to show from documentary sources that he died a martyr for the Catholic Faith. The absence of documentary evidence does not, however, prevent us from giving due value to the constant tradition on this point. The local cult of Boethius at Pavia was sanctioned when, in 1883, the Sacred Congregation of Rites confirmed the custom prevailing in that diocese of honouring St. Severinus Boethius, on the 23rd of October.

To the science of mathematics and the theory of music Boethius contributed the "De Institutione Arithmetic Libri II", "De Institutione Music Libri V", and "Geometria Euclidis a Boethio in Latinum translata". The last-mentioned work is found in various MSS. of the eleventh and twelfth centuries. There is also found among the MSS. a work "De Geometri ", which, in its extant form, is considered to be a ninth- or tenth-century elaboration of a work of Boethius. How far the work is genuine, and to what extent interpolations have crept in, is a question of more than ordinary interest for the student of general history, for on the answer to this question depends the determination of the date of the first use of Arabic numerals in Western Europe. Boethius' philosophical works include:

translations from the Greek, e.g. of Aristotle's logical treatises (with commentaries) and of Porphyry's "Isagogue" (with commentaries);
commentaries on Porphyry's "Isagoge", translated by Marius Victorinus and on Cicero's "Topica";
original logical treatises, "De Categoricis Syllogismis", "Introductio ad Syllogismos Categoricos", "De Divisione" (of doubtful authenticity), and "De Differentiis Topicis".
These exercised very great influence on the development of medieval terminology, method, and doctrine, especially in logic. In fact, the schoolmen, down to the beginning of the twelfth century, depended entirely on Boethius for their knowledge of Aristotle's doctrines. They adopted his definitions and made them current in the schools; for instance, the definitions of "person", "eternity", etc.
The theological works of Boethius include "De Trinitate"; two short treatises (opuscula) addressed to John the Deacon (afterwards Pope John I); "Liber contra Eutychen et Nestorium"; and "De Fide Catholic " (generally regarded as spurious, although the only argument against its genuineness is the lack of manuscript authority). These were much studied in the early Middle Ages, as is testified by the number of glosses found in the manuscripts as far back as the ninth century (e.g. glosses by John Scotus Erigena and Remi of Auxerre). To the theologians of the Middle Ages generally they appealed as the genuine works of the Christian martyr, Boethius. In modern times, those who denied that Boethius was a Christian were, of course, obliged to reject the opuscula as spurious. However, the publication of the so-called "Anecdoton Holderi" (ed. by Usener, Leipzig, 1877) brought to light a new argument for their genuineness. For, as Cassiodorus ought certainly to have known which works of Boethius were genuine, when he wrote "[Boethius] scripsit librum de Sanct Trinitate et capita quaedam dogmatica et librum contra Nestorium", he settled the question as far as four of the treatises are concerned.

Boethius' best-known work is the "Consolations of Philosophy" written during his imprisonment -- "by far the most interesting example of prison literature the world has ever seen." It is a dialogue between Philosophy and Boethius, in which the Queen of Sciences strives to console the fallen statesman. The main argument of the discourse is the transitoriness and unreality of all earthly greatness and the superior desirability of the things of the mind. There are evident traces of the influence of the Neo-Platonists, especially of Proclus, and little, if anything, that can be said to reflect Christian influences. The recourse to Stoicism, especially to the doctrines of Seneca, was inevitable, considering the nature of the theme. It does astonish the modern reader, although, strange to say, it did not surprise the medieval student, that Boethius, a Christian, and, as everyone in the Middle Ages believed, a Christian martyr, should have failed, in his moment of trial and mental stress to refer to the obvious Christian sources of consolation. Perhaps the medieval student of Boethius understood better than we do that a strictly formal dialogue on the consolation of philosophy should adhere rigorously to the realm of "natural truth" and leave out of consideration the lesson to be derived from the moral maxims of Christianity -- "supernatural truth".

The work takes up many problems of metaphysics as well as of ethics. It treats of the Being and Nature of God, of providence and fate, of the origin of the universe, and of the freedom of the will. In medieval times, it became one of the most popular and influential philosophical books, a favourite study of statesmen, poets, and historians, as well as of philosophers and theologians. It was translated into Anglo-Saxon by King Alfred the Great, and into Old German by Notker Teutonicus; its influence may be traced in Beowulf and in Chaucer, in Anglo-Norman and Proven al popular poetry, in the first specimens of Italian verse, as well as in the "Divina Commedia". The important part which it played in Dante's mental struggle after the death of Beatrice is described in the "Convito", where, strange to say, it is referred to as "a book not known to many". Echoes of it and citations from it occur frequently in the "Divina Commedia". For instance, the lines which Tennyson paraphrases by "a sorrow's crown of sorrow" are themselves at least a haunting memory of Boethius' "In omni adversitate fortunae infelicissimum genus est infortunii fuisse felicem" (De Consol. Phil., II, Pros. IV). That the "De Consolatione" was a favourite study of the theologians as well as of the poets is evidenced by the numerous imitations under the title "De Consolatione Theologiae" which were widely read during the later Middle Ages. "

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
ahh, but nietzSche_ does not exist

--------------------
 -

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
great, i chose a christian activist :-\

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

hah great

and I chose someone who sought to destroy christianity [Smile]

join the DM room so I can see you...you don't show up on my blist

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
hmmm brb lemme do some meddling one sec, dont leave

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

I usually am on the comp until 4:30 anyway

don't worry

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
new name, abulcaSis_. he wasnt what you would call a philosopher, but he was a great thinker...people who play on the zone wont know any different anyway

--------------------
 -

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
your name doesnt exist ho

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

Philosophy of Medicine

it counts

Dejango  
Unregistered

go to dm room
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
which one?

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

just the channel

deathmatch...

in ESO

AoM

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
oh, i was on the zone, heh, ok well abulcasis is my zone name for now, ill get on eso in a sec

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

you p00ter
WaLdO Administrator 
Boing Boing
Member # 576

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for WaLdO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oO i wanna be philosopher!

--------------------
 -  -

Posts: 2987 (0.48 per day) | From: OkiE PridE | Registered: May 2002 (6192 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReDKinG  
Member # 228

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ReDKinG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what zone names u both using, i might have a game later

--------------------
 -
'My parents have been there for me, ever since I was about 7.' - David Beckham

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

'I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.' - Mark Draper

'There's no in between - you're either good or bad. We were in between.' - Gary Lineker

-

-

- _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ AoC Legend_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _  -

Posts: 596 (0.09 per day) | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2001 (6452 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
abulcaSis_

--------------------
 -

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
i bought the game just now and im dling all of the stuff, ill be playing around 6-7 CST.

[ May 24, 2003, 11:28: Message edited by: -Ma$oN- ]

--------------------
 -

SIVA Moderator 

1337 |-|4><><0I2

Member # 617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta rewarez aoc, b/c I lost my whole hard drive, but I use_CapacitoI2_

--------------------
 -

FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD

"people disgust me....... this includes myself"
--me

".....let me give the world to you because obviously nothing else is going to make u fucking happy...."
--Billy Corgan

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell

"But beware.....all those angels with their wings glued on"
--Billy Corgan

Contact at-------AIM: buletwbtrflywngz Yahoo: xsiamese_dreamx Msn: bulletwithbutterflywings11@hotmail.com

Posts: 1431 (0.23 per day) | From: Dallas(Plano)/Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002 (6167 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

on ESO I'm nietzSche_

on the zone I'm nietzSche_

[Smile]

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
that name doesnt exist on the zone you gaylord

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

well obviously it does because it won't let me use it

my name is aI2istotle__

Teapot Administrator 
Forum Admin
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teapot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bah play AoM i'm always on ESO as either Teapot or RageOfLiGhT

--------------------
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's Second Law

-

Contact Info
AIM: bvtonedog
Yahoo: bvtonedog
MSN Messenger: iamtheyukster@hotmail.com
Email: bkvtonedog@adelphia.net

Posts: 3879 (0.59 per day) | From: Colonial Heights VA | Registered: Jun 2001 (6533 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

but AoM is SOOOOOOOOOO BORING

Eh I might play some

I'm playing TONS of AC right now though

Teapot Administrator 
Forum Admin
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teapot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AoM is not boring man, haha 2 weeks ago you loved it lol

--------------------
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's Second Law

-

Contact Info

Posts: 3879 (0.59 per day) | From: Colonial Heights VA | Registered: Jun 2001 (6533 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

I played it to death lol
Teapot Administrator 
Forum Admin
Member # 135

Member Rated:
lol thats when you just switch to supremacy or dm if you were playing supremacy [Smile] never gets boring [Smile] or try a different culture [Wink]

--------------------

-

Contact Info

Dejango  
Unregistered

of...3 cultures

and supremacy is okay...

I actually like RoN better than AoM

Teapot Administrator 
Forum Admin
Member # 135

Member Rated:
bah RoN imo it was a big bust, i already sold my copy, and i actually feel bad about all of it, because i talke dthis game up to a lot of people and now i am not even going to play it

--------------------

-

Contact Info

Dejango  
Unregistered

What do you mean?

What do you not like about it?

Teapot Administrator 
Forum Admin
Member # 135

Member Rated:
eh graphics are just not doing it for me, and its bascily age of buildings even more so that aoc aom ever is/was its basicly just research civic tech and go from there ..eh i dunno..it just doesnt float my boat

--------------------

-

Contact Info

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
youre both wrong, AoC custom scenario is where its at

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

die
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
why isnt zone messenger working

--------------------
 -

Dejango  
Unregistered

It's working for me.

I'm logged on right now

-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
well, then #### you

--------------------
 -

Crums  
Regular
Member # 751

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol

--------------------
 -

Posts: 114 (0.01 per day) | From: Classified | Registered: Dec 2002 (5981 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daveacious  
Member # 48

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daveacious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a room

--------------------
im back bitches

Posts: 719 (0.1 per day) | From: Orange County, California | Registered: May 2001 (6567 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dejango  
Unregistered

we have one

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*