Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » Intellectual Zone™   » Military/War/Politics/History Forum   » What if?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What if?!
uknemesis  
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for uknemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post comments here on what may have happened in the world if these events, or some of your own choosing, hadn't happened, or had happened as the case may be...

1) D-Day was a failure

2) JFK wasn't assassinated

3) The Cuban Missile Crisis had escalated. Do you think ground forces would have been used, or just everyone launch their nukes?

4) Germany had taken Moscow during WW2

5) The Falklands War was a failure

Nemesis

--------------------
 -
President Nemesis of the People's Republic of China

With the might of Xin Sheng, China will rise once more!

Posts: 1580 (0.24 per day) | Registered: May 2001 (6495 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I think the allies would have still won in the end, but I think it would have been at least a year before they could have rebuilt there forces and tried again, plus it wasn't a surprise anymore and the Germans would have reinforced the Atlantic Wall, and the Germans could have sent more troops to the Eastern Front

2. Hmmmm, i don't know, i'm not a expert on presidents but i think he would have revealed some stuff on the CIA and the goverments knowledge on UFOs/Aliens, thats what i heard he planned on doing

3. I don't think it woulda went nuclear but i think US planes would have had to destroy the bases

4. I think this would have just made the Soviets fight more ferciously(sp), they would have fought fanitaclly to retake there capital, on the other hand anti-communist folks might have seen this as an victory against the communist state and who knows, they might have tried to ally with the Germans or fight on...

5. I don't know how the Brits could have possibly lost so i can't really make a judgement on this

Posts: 7713 (1.18 per day) | From: NJ | Registered: May 2001 (6495 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
uknemesis  
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for uknemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few more for people to answer:

A) The RAF had lost the Battle of Britain. Would Hitler have invaded? Would he have won? If he had, would the US have been able to retake Britain?

B) The American War of Independece had been a disaster, and Britain had retained control of America?

C) Stalin had a son and he reclaimed the USSR through a craze of Stalinism amongst the people of Russia. Would the USA try and stop him? Would they send out a hit squad? Would China and the USSR once again unite against capatilism? Would there be another Cold War?

Nemesis

--------------------
 -
President Nemesis of the People's Republic of China

With the might of Xin Sheng, China will rise once more!

Posts: 1580 (0.24 per day) | Registered: May 2001 (6495 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1=a. if the RAF was totally wiped out, even then Hitler would have had a very hard time invading, he didn't yet have the forces or tactics yet, he could have invaded and taken it over, but it is very unlikey

2=b. hmmm, i think the colonists would have rebelled again and again until they were indepedent

3=c. i think the entire world would try to stop another Stalin even some Russians i can imagine would rebel

Posts: 7713 (1.18 per day) | From: NJ | Registered: May 2001 (6495 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_fallen_lord_99  
Member # 57

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_fallen_lord_99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uknemesis:
Post comments here on what may have happened in the world if these events, or some of your own choosing, hadn't happened, or had happened as the case may be...

1) D-Day was a failure

2) JFK wasn't assassinated

3) The Cuban Missile Crisis had escalated. Do you think ground forces would have been used, or just everyone launch their nukes?

4) Germany had taken Moscow during WW2

5) The Falklands War was a failure

Nemesis

1. In my opinion the war was won the second Germany attacked Russia. So yeah, we would win the war even with out D-DAY.

2. If JFK didnt die, the US would not have entered the Vietnam conflict.

3. Well, JFK was close to launching an attack on cuba, it was something like 1 day difference. So if he did attack cuba the Soviets would have launched a Nuclear attack.

4. I dont know anything about the Falklands War.

5. If Germany took Moscow, then I wouldn’t exist . But if I did I would be a slave to the master race .

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: the_fallen_lord_99 ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 670 (0.1 per day) | From: London - U.S.S.R ;) | Registered: May 2001 (6492 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_fallen_lord_99  
Member # 57

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_fallen_lord_99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uknemesis:
A few more for people to answer:

A) The RAF had lost the Battle of Britain. Would Hitler have invaded? Would he have won? If he had, would the US have been able to retake Britain?

B) The American War of Independece had been a disaster, and Britain had retained control of America?

C) Stalin had a son and he reclaimed the USSR through a craze of Stalinism amongst the people of Russia. Would the USA try and stop him? Would they send out a hit squad? Would China and the USSR once again unite against capatilism? Would there be another Cold War?

Nemesis

1. If hitler invaded and took over Britain, i dont think the yanks would bother to help out.

2. If the yanks lost the war, Britain would still be the greates empire on earth.

3. Stalin did have a son. He was a lieutenant in the Infantry during the second world war, he was captured by the Germans, who tried to exchange him for Field Marshal Paulus, but stalin said “ I will not exchange a Field Marshal for a lieutenant”. His son was killed by the Germans as he tried to escape from the camp where he was held.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 670 (0.1 per day) | From: London - U.S.S.R ;) | Registered: May 2001 (6492 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_fallen_lord_99  
Member # 57

Member Rated:
Here are my ones:

What if Napoleon won at waterloo?

What if Germany won WW1?

What if US troops lost the battle of Gettysburg, during the civil war?

--------------------
 -

catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catpatter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if napolian won waterloo?

- god who knows, no empire lasts forever so he would of fallen at some piont in time, he planned to invade england, guess that could of hapened maybe, who knows its just speculation.

what if germany won ww1

- well it really depends how he won, do you conider winning to be simply on the western front, or on both the western and eatern?

dont know much about the civil war, sorry.

--------------------
who needs power when you have people to suck up to u!

Posts: 177 (0.02 per day) | From: earth | Registered: May 2001 (6494 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catpatter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
d day was a failure

- good guys would still of won, BUT it we would be in a largely communist world today, ...well maybe well never know.ther are too many variables to guess.

jfk wasnt assasinated

-hmmm, pass

cuban missile crisis escalates

-. the real reason conflist was avoided was becuase of a cia agent named oleg penkovskiy, who gave information to the yanks that the russians would not, could not attack. it would have gone nuclear, but i dont know how far.

germany had taken moscow

- i think the russians would of folded, just becuase russia is huge dont mean you gotta take it all, hitler would of stopped after he got stalingrad, moscow and lenningrad ( st petersburg )

know nothing about the falkans, except that it was between the brits and argintinians.

--------------------

Posts: 177 (0.02 per day) | From: earth | Registered: May 2001 (6494 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
raf lost battle of britian

- hitler invade, he wins, no contest, dorry poms but its da truth. in the end the loss of the battle of britain was more costly than stalingrad to hitler, cuase with britain gone, the yanks were largely out of play, and then supplies would have a but fuck of a time getting to russia, end of scenario, hitler wins.

america losses war of independence

- maybe they wouldnt of made that shithouse movie? ( hehehe )

last won cant b bothered to type

-cat

--------------------

catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
i have three big ones for you

a. pearl harbour didnt happen

b. nukes were never used at nagasaki and hirowateva

c. hitler didnt invade russia.

--------------------

the_fallen_lord_99  
Member # 57

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by catpatter:
i have three big ones for you

a. pearl harbour didnt happen

b. nukes were never used at nagasaki and hirowateva

c. hitler didnt invade russia.

a. Japan would take over most of asia, and invade Australia. I think that Japan would attack russian and share it with german after they take it over.

B. Well the out come of the war wouldnt have been different, Japan was asking for peace even before the defeat of germany, but in the long run, i thnk that the USSR would take advantage of of having the largest army and invade europe.

If hitler didnt ivade russia, in a couple of years Stalin would invade germany. Because even as early as 1933 he knew there will be a war between russa and germany, because of the rise of fascism.

--------------------
 -

2-D.. Administrator 
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Member # 112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2-D..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aaaaggggghhhhhhh to many questions

a) I wouldn't of gone to the movies that night and would've saved £5 and had a better time watchin tv at home (i have no idea about what would've happened in the real thing)

b)Japs would've surrendered after the first one i think other than us being 10 years more technologically advanced now i dont know

c) he concentrates on Britain and Africa winning both areas moves to the middle East where i belive he had some support making his way all around to China helping the Japanease defeat them then possibly they would move down to Australia, Russia surrounded America and Canada can be attacked from West and East
hell he couldve eventually taken over the world

--------------------
*Coming soon: Something so awesome to look at it will make your eyeballs explode*

Posts: 6460 (0.99 per day) | From: Hadleys Hope | Registered: Jun 2001 (6471 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
in reply to 2-d
on question 3

-perhaps, but whos to say he wouldnt make n e more stupid mistakes

--------------------

2-D.. Administrator 
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Member # 112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2-D..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whos to say he wouldn't choke to death after eating a chicken bone by accident one day?

--------------------
*Coming soon: Something so awesome to look at it will make your eyeballs explode*

Posts: 6460 (0.99 per day) | From: Hadleys Hope | Registered: Jun 2001 (6471 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catpatter  
Regular
Member # 47

Member Rated:
well he didnt eat chicken, he blamed them for WW1 as well.

--------------------

-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
another good topic

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \
When ancient Rome was near defeat,
the invincible Tenth Legion was raised:
they beat the barbarians on the battlefield
and Rome gained peace with honour again.
When the traitor, on September the eighth,
left the fatherland in infamy,
the Tenth Flotilla was raised from the sea
and it brought weapons at the cry for honour!

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
you victorious on Alexandria,
Malta, Souda and Gibraltar,
you already victorious upon the sea,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

To you Italian ships, stolen from us
not in battle but by treason,
and to you, our prisoners and dead brothers,
we swear:
we swear that we'll came back,
let this be God's and the Flag's will.
We swear that we'll fight
until we obtain an honourable peace!

Jester89  
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jester89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QUESTIONS LIST #1 Posted by uknemesis

1) If D-Day was a failure, it would be a devastating blow to all allies across Europe, with so many men, material, and other resources located in a centralized location, it would be a horrible loss. If the Germans held us off for long enough, Panzer divisions could of most definitely inflict heavy casualties on our soldiers if they somehow managed to make it to the beach. The outcome of the war would probably still be the same, just it would cause a lot more men to killed and the war could of have probably gone on for another 1-2 years. Unless of course the Nazi scientists came up with some hardcore shit. (A-Bomb, more tank designs, etc.)

2) Hmm… Difficult to say, everything would probably just stay normal. The would-be assassin(s) would probably be caught and JFK would keep on bein’ president.

3) Mutual destruction, I know that. If our battleships fired on the ships carrying the scuds and other stuff, it would bring all of the hate-filled propaganda on both sides to a boiling point. The Americans in outrage at Cuba, Russia, not to mention at ourselves for being stupid enough to attack. Ground forces would have probably been used to expel any Russians from Cuba and take control of the country. Air forces would be on stand-by for the go-code, navies slowly making their way across the Pacific for a major conflict, all forces in Asia at that time would have most definitely already been in some clashes with each other, and the world would hold it’s breath.

4) Well, from there it would be a definite loss of morale to the already beaten and bruised Russians, but it would make them fight more ferociously, definitely causing casualties on the Germans, but it probably wouldn’t be enough to stop the inevitable.

5) I can’t say, I don’t know quite a lot about the Falklands.

QUESTIONS LIST #2 Posted by uknemesis

1) Eeesh… If the RAF was completely wiped out, an invasion would have been iminent. True, the Luftwaffe would have a hard time, but the initial invasion of Britan would have been a cake walk for the German foot-soldiers. The Brits at the time didn’t have the men or resources to hold back the mighty German Blitzkrieg. The US for sure would have lost it’s only staging ground in Europe, and the war would have completely shifted to the Axis powers side. No, I do not believe without an adequate staging area that the US would have been able to take Britan back.

2) Well… The world would be different today now wouldn’t it? It’d probably just end up in some textbook and forgotten about.

3) That’s a confusing question that I can’t quite comprehend.

QUESTIONS LIST #3 Posted by TFL

1) I dunno, it’d be a major victory for Napoleon I guess

2) … It wasn’t just Germany you know. I think that there would probably still be a war for years, but the Axis would have a strong foothold.

3) The war would end the same. The confederates didn’t have the men or resources to continue an extended war.

QUESTIONS LIST #4 Posted by cat patter

1) … Umm… The Japanese would have been starved of oil, but still continue their expansions out in the Pacific, Germany would still be fighting Britan and Russia, probably take them both… maybe

2) Well, there’d probably be an invasion of Japan with HEAVY casualties, a complete bloodbath, but the outcome of the war wouldn’t alter.

3) He could focus all of his manpower on Britan, taking it, and probably would have allied themselves with Germany permanently.

--------------------
 -

Check the Gaming News Topic for Up-to-Date Info On Games!

Posts: 1577 (0.26 per day) | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 (6055 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Operation Sealion (the German planned invasion of the British Isles) would have been impossible

The Germans planned on using river barges to land their troops, the barges would have been swamped in the English Channel

They never had enough transport assets to move divisons across, other than very slowly

In fact there is quite alot of evidence that suggests "Operation Sealion" was nothing more than a large intellgence coup by the Germans to convice the Soviets they weren't planning anything against them

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Jester89  
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jester89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what Operation Sealion called for, I'm not stupid here. Still, it would have made it much easier for the Germans to invade.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1577 (0.26 per day) | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 (6055 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bronx Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 402

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also we apparently going to flood the landing beaches with oil and set them alight. We also had the only organised pre-invasion underground fighting force. These people were instructed to kill anyone who found out about them.

If the Germans had invaded, the only person who knew who the local fighters were would have been the local police sergeant. On the Germans coming near to a local village that policeman would have been the first to die at the hands of the militia. Their expected life under occupation was 2 weeks. All of this has only come to light, because of the 50 year rule on disclosure secret information.

[ 14 July 2003, 11:28: Message edited by: Bronx ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 9347 (1.49 per day) | From: Gloucestershire, England | Registered: Feb 2002 (6233 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Interestingly i read once that the Gestapo had "special orders" to target "British male youth groups" such as Boy Scout Clubs and what-not becuase they may have "gurellia potential"

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

KamiliantheYami  
Visitor
Member # 908

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KamiliantheYami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kenny doesn't like me posting here because i take shaft in my asshole from random men. and that i flame the american president because of what he thinks is right, i think is wrong.

If i ever post here again like this i'll get Kenny to pimp slap me. Excuse me while i eat 5 big macs. I am a lunch box.

-  -

[ 21 July 2003, 14:57: Message edited by: Kenny ]

--------------------
DROP BUSH NOT BOMBS!!!
What do we want? PEACE! When do we want it? NOW! [repeat 3 times [Wink] ]
Bush is an idiot - I can't believe he's President of this country. HE CHOKED ON A PRETZEL AND IT WAS A NATIONAL EMERGENCY!!! "OOOH! The idiot President choked on a pretzel! O MY GOD! THE WORLD IS ENDING NOW!!!" [heavy sarcams]. THE MAN WAS CHASED AROUND BY MONKEYS!!!
I HATE HIM - HE KEPT ON SAYING THAT THERE WERE WMDs IN IRAQ, WELL WHERE ARE THEY? AND NOW HE EVEN ADMITTED THAT IT WAS FALSE INFO AND ALL HE SAID WAS "WELL IM SURE THEY WILL TURN UP" AND STILL WANTS WAR WITH IRAN! F*CKIN DUMBASS!

Posts: 2 (0 per day) | From: Unknown | Registered: Jul 2003 (5710 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bronx Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 402

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there was a series of two documentaries on a bit ago about what would have happened had Nazi Germany made it across the channel. In typical German fashion they had planned everything to the absolute last detail.

They would have got rid of most of the stuffy old institutions in Britain, especially the free-masons, and they would have persuaded the local police that it was a patriotic thing to work for the Nazis to help protect your own people.

Of course the culture of Britain would have been plundered, but Hitler apparently always had a soft spot for Britain, and was extremely interested in the eremitism of our education system, as it appealed to the ideals of the ubermenshen (sp?).

The second programme was about the British resistance network, which it concluded all nice and objectively, that as good a fight as we would have put up, defeat was inevitable. After all the other networks would have fallen after Britain fell because there would have been no SOE to support them.

This would have meant that the German nuclear programme would not have been set back as many years, all resources could have been provided for Russia, and the oil and shipping lines of North Africa would have been in Nazi control. Plus they were working on super long range bombers to reach America.

Germany would have had jet powered super range bombers, early guided anti shipping missiles, and the successfully trailed U-Boat towed V2 rocket, with possible atomic warhead.

Thank fuck things turned out the way they did.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 9347 (1.49 per day) | From: Gloucestershire, England | Registered: Feb 2002 (6233 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bronx Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 402

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by KamiliantheYami:
Here's a good what-if!!!
What if Bush was never elected?

Well, for one thing, us people in America wouldnt HAVE TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY RULED BY A STUPID, HALF-ASSED, AIRHEAD WARMONGER!!!

lol, I dont like him, but from what I have seen he is sharper than most people think. The world would be a better place. I beleive Colin Powell would have made a good president.

--------------------
 -

Jester89  
Member # 651

I have to agree, Colin Powell would be excellent.

--------------------
 -

-ReDeeMeR Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -ReDeeMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronx:
quote:
Originally posted by KamiliantheYami:
Here's a good what-if!!!
What if Bush was never elected?

Well, for one thing, us people in America wouldnt HAVE TO LIVE IN A COUNTRY RULED BY A STUPID, HALF-ASSED, AIRHEAD WARMONGER!!!

lol, I dont like him, but from what I have seen he is sharper than most people think. The world would be a better place. I beleive Colin Powell would have made a good president.
I wont get into the details but out of all the americans i have spoken to so far (maybe apart from when i was in NJ) they all Hate Bush, many say "if only Clinton was still here".

--------------------
 -

Posts: 5617 (0.86 per day) | From: Anytown | Registered: May 2001 (6508 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bronx Administrator 
Administrator
Member # 402

Member Rated:
Yeah, I prefered Clinton myself. I was watching BBC news the other day and the corespondant was talking of how the Republicans and Democrats both like Blair because he was freinds with this, and the previous president.

He said how 2 senators had remarked 'if only Blair was an American, then we could have him as our president'

The way Blair has been going I bet he wishes that was true ... lol

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*