Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » General   » Music Forum   » This annoys me.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This annoys me.
Athanasia  
Nobody said kindness was manditory...
Member # 589

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Athanasia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lately, I've been hearing people bitch and whine about "Religious music." on here, and here, locally...With friends. I honestly don't understand what's up with people and despising religious music. And I'm not talking about, that soft stuff they play on Christian stations and whatever. Like, mainstream bands. POD for example...(Just because there is a topic about them on here.) Or, Evenescence, I don't know for sure whether they're Christian or not, but it doesn't matter all that much. The point is, even if they DO actually have a half decent sound to them, people will still refuse to listen to them, JUST because, they are religious in some way. POD don't exactly bluntly come out and preach to their fucking listeners, nor do Evenescence, and there is no subliminal messaging encrypted in their music saying "Come to God my child!"....People are scared that, people might think that they're...Religious!...Like it's that bad...Unless, you're listening to fucking prayer's on CD's and shit, then your religion should have nothing to do with why or why not you like music...Or your non-religion, in some way, forbidding you to listen to religious music...I'm sorry, but this is really fucking stupid. It's the equivilent of not listening to Soul or Rap (For the most part) because you don't like Black people...

How many of you, on this forum, won't listen to Christian rock/metal/thrash whatever?...Anything religious...I've seen a few, members, say something about not listening to bands solely because they were Christian.

[ 10 August 2003, 18:18: Message edited by: Azizah ]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1593 (0.25 per day) | From: Canada - Where the morons live. | Registered: Jun 2002 (6176 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SIVA Moderator 

1337 |-|4><><0I2

Member # 617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Azizah:
Lately, I've been hearing people bitch and whine about "Religious music." on here, and here, locally...With friends. I honestly don't understand what's up with people and despising religious music. And I'm not talking about, that soft stuff they play on Christian stations and whatever. Like, mainstream bands. POD for example...(Just because there is a topic about them on here.) Or, Evenescence, I don't know for sure whether they're Christian or not, but it doesn't matter all that much. The point is, even if they DO actually have a half decent sound to them, people will still refuse to listen to them, JUST because, they are religious in some way. POD don't exactly bluntly come out and preach to their fucking listeners, nor do Evenescence, and there is no subliminal messaging encrypted in their music saying "Come to God my child!"....People are scared that, people might think that they're...Religious!...Like it's that bad...Unless, you're listening to fucking prayer's on CD's and shit, then your religion should have nothing to do with why or why not you like music...Or your non-religion, in some way, forbidding you to listen to religious music...I'm sorry, but this is really fucking stupid. It's the equivilent of not listening to Soul or Rap (For the most part) because you don't like Black people...

How many of you, on this forum, won't listen to Christian rock/metal/thrash whatever?...Anything religious...I've seen a few, members, say something about not listening to bands solely because they were Christian.

well my deary you make somewhat of a point......but the lyrics of bands often influence if people listen to it or not.....sure some bands may play good music....but is music the only thing in a song, there are lyrics as well......if someone does not agree with the christian messages that may or may not be portrayed in a bands songs they certainly have the right to say they do not want to listen to it......for example I do enjoy a lot of the beats in rap, but I really dont like the lyrics much......so I dont really listen to it at all, because I dont want to listen to "gang banging" or about being a "wanksta"(yes this may be a stereotype but its one of those ones that counts for a large majority)........

on another note, the bible could make for great heavy metal music with "stories of disease, murder, adultery, suicide, and child sacrifice."

the part in quotations taken from marilyn manson

[ 10 August 2003, 00:11: Message edited by: SIVA ]

--------------------
 -

FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD

"people disgust me....... this includes myself"
--me

".....let me give the world to you because obviously nothing else is going to make u fucking happy...."
--Billy Corgan

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell

"But beware.....all those angels with their wings glued on"
--Billy Corgan

Contact at-------AIM: buletwbtrflywngz Yahoo: xsiamese_dreamx Msn: bulletwithbutterflywings11@hotmail.com

Posts: 1431 (0.23 per day) | From: Dallas(Plano)/Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002 (6162 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arkan Administrator 

UßerAdmin

Member # 1

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arkan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i refuse to listen to music created by religious bands....its a complete turn off for me. well the exception is creed

--------------------
"All This fucking self knowledge, where the fuck has it got me?" - Tony Soprano

-

If you have a problem or need any help or advice in regards to the forum, email me at ultravision23@hotmail.com. If you want the speediest resolution of your problem, try to be descriptive about the problem as possible and give me your username. I know this is rather cliched but from experience trust me it helps, thank you.

for all other enquiries, visit my Arkans Fan Center

Posts: 10646 (1.62 per day) | From: London Calling | Registered: May 2001 (6563 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arkan Administrator 

UßerAdmin

Member # 1

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arkan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what annoys me is people using apostrophes incorrectly, the topic title should only be "this annoys me".....im only sayin, cus you do pride yourself on spelling, punctuation etc

--------------------

-

If you have a problem or need any help or advice in regards to the forum, email me at ultravision23@hotmail.com. If you want the speediest resolution of your problem, try to be descriptive about the problem as possible and give me your username. I know this is rather cliched but from experience trust me it helps, thank you.

Posts: 10646 (1.62 per day) | From: London Calling | Registered: May 2001 (6563 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baphomet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SIVA:
on another note, the bible could make for great heavy metal music with "stories of disease, murder, adultery, suicide, and child sacrifice."

Yeah.

A lot of metal bands draw their lyrical inspiration from the horror stories in the bible. (e.g. "Creeping Death" by Metallica, which is about the tenth plague.)

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Posts: 1500 (0.24 per day) | Registered: Jun 2002 (6162 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noble stabbings  
Administrator
Member # 874

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for noble stabbings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad Religion think church is baaaddd

--------------------
 -

Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves

What's the most interesting thing you've seen in the last six months?

Garth: Obviously, Darkplace. It has rendered all subsequent and previous television redundant.

my arms are strong: don't my name suggest it?
i strangled katja and i nearly got arrested!
i would have been safe, bro, it's plain for you to see
my daddy is a diplomat; he's got immunity
and i will kill you bro if you don't meet me or don't listen
coz i've got 500 milligrams of prozac in my system!
i'm down with the triads coz i speak japanese
but only when i'm sleepin' they'll do whatever i please
and i wake up in the cupboard about once or twice a week
AND I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU IF YOU'RE CALLIN' ME A FREAK!!

Posts: 738 (0.12 per day) | From: Vancouver | Registered: Jun 2003 (5819 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirLardsAlot Moderator 

Forum Idiot
Member # 715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirLardsAlot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonata Arctica's 8th Commandment is a sweet song.

--------------------
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 5087 (0.84 per day) | From: Poopland | Registered: Oct 2002 (6034 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirLardsAlot Moderator 

Forum Idiot
Member # 715

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirLardsAlot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As is Iron Maiden's Holy Smoke.

--------------------
 -
 -
 -

Posts: 5087 (0.84 per day) | From: Poopland | Registered: Oct 2002 (6034 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baphomet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not about anything biblical. It's about greedy preachers.

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Posts: 1500 (0.24 per day) | Registered: Jun 2002 (6162 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SIVA Moderator 

1337 |-|4><><0I2

Member # 617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smashing pumpkins- bullet with butterfly wings

--------------------
 -

FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD

--me

".....let me give the world to you because obviously nothing else is going to make u fucking happy...."
--Billy Corgan

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-- George Orwell

--Billy Corgan

Contact at-------AIM: buletwbtrflywngz Yahoo: xsiamese_dreamx Msn: bulletwithbutterflywings11@hotmail.com

Posts: 1431 (0.23 per day) | From: Dallas(Plano)/Austin, TX | Registered: Jun 2002 (6162 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
quote:

?

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

SIVA Moderator 

1337 |-|4><><0I2

Member # 617

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Baphomet:
quote:

?
I will give you some time to think........before I divulge what at least I think the meaning to be.....

--------------------
 -

FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD

--me

--Billy Corgan

-- George Orwell

--Billy Corgan

Athanasia  
Nobody said kindness was manditory...
Member # 589

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Athanasia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From one of the band's I named.

Evenescence - Going Under

now i will tell you what i've done for you
50 thousand tears i've cried
screaming deceiving and bleeding for you
and you still won't hear me
don't want your hand this time i'll save myself
maybe i'll wake up for once
not tormented daily defeated by you
just when i thought i'd reached the bottom
i'm dying again

i'm going under
drowning in you
i'm falling forever
i've got to break through
i'm going under

blurring and stirring the truth and the lies
so i don't know what's real and what's not
always confusing the thoughts in my head
so i can't trust myself anymore
i'm dying again

i'm going under
drowning in you
i'm falling forever
i've got to break through

so go on and scream
scream at me i'm so far away
i won't be broken again
i've got to breathe i can't keep going under

Evanescence - My Immortal

my immortal
i'm so tired of being here
suppressed by all of my childish fears
and if you have to leave
i wish that you would just leave
because your presence still lingers here
and it won't leave me alone

these wounds won't seem to heal
this pain is just too real
there's just too much that time cannot erase

when you cried i'd wipe away all of your tears
when you'd scream i'd fight away all of your fears
and i've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me

you used to captivate me
by your resonating light
but now i'm bound by the life you left behind
your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams
your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

these wounds won't seem to heal
this pain is just too real
there's just too much that time cannot erase

when you cried i'd wipe away all of your tears
when you'd scream i'd fight away all of your fears
and i've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me

i've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone
and though you're still with me
i've been alone all along

I don't see any blatant lyrical proof that they're Christian.
In either of those song's.

And, this band, was one of the main reasons I made this topic....
So, the lyrics thing that you stated, isn't always true..There are tons of Christian bands out there, that are like this, they don't show very obviously that they are singing about shit like that. (Again, I don't know whether they are actually Christian..I'm just going by what people have said.)

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1593 (0.25 per day) | From: Canada - Where the morons live. | Registered: Jun 2002 (6176 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arkan Administrator 

UßerAdmin

Member # 1

Rate Member
i dont care what they sing, they act like goths but go round touting that their christians, thats stupid...and it doesnt matter if they sing about xianity or not, coldplay are advocates of free trade etc but they dont sing about it, but people who have a problem with fair trade are very likely to have a problem with their music. that said however, i dont mind my immortal by evanescence.

--------------------

-

Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Baphomet:
quote:

?
I will give you some time to think........before I divulge what at least I think the meaning to be.....
Em... alright. I like the song, but I'll have to look up the lyrics...

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan:
i dont care what they sing, they act like goths but go round touting that their christians, thats stupid

Why can't there be Christian goths? Can you define "goth" for me, Arkan? Is there some holy scripture of gothiness that you alone possess, stating that "Thou shalt not believe in the resurrection of Christ"?

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*