Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » Gaming   » RolePlaying   » Some basic rules

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some basic rules
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baphomet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't noticed a thread for rule suggestions, so here's one.

Usually, internet RPing uses this basic system:

Speech is typed in plain text. For example:

Hello, <insert character name here>. May I accompany you on your quest?

Actions are typed in plain text, but are signified by asterisks. Example:

*<character name> vaults into the air, flips forward at the apex of his jump, and lands gracefully behind <some other character>.*

Thoughts are typed in Italic text. Example:

I know that I must go. But... why? What greater purpose does this serve? etc.

In terms of battle, you usually describe your actions, but you don't determine whether or not an attack succeeds or fails. Your opponent will decide, based on things such as each characters' situation (for example, if one character has no possible escape from another's attack, the attack will obviously succeed, but if there is a way out, the attack may fail), the difference in each characters' strength (if one character has been around longer, has been training longer or harder, is stronger through magical enchantment, or is much stronger for story purposes, that character will have an easier time making successful attacks against weaker characters, and dodging the incoming attacks of said characters). And keep in mind that if you're making a new character, you can't make him unbelievably powerful.

So... that's all I can think of right now.

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Posts: 1500 (0.24 per day) | Registered: Jun 2002 (6166 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baphomet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I forgot about In-character posting vs. Out-of-character posting.

Generally, when posting in-character, there is no need to put "IC:", but if you want to, go ahead.

As for out-of-character posting (when you want to say something real person-to-real person, not character-to-character), you usually label it with "OOC:" and place it in double parentheses. Example:

((OOC: Hey man, quit powergaming.))

You get the idea.

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Posts: 1500 (0.24 per day) | Registered: Jun 2002 (6166 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mistress Malice  

Bitchy McSarcasm

Member # 342

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistress Malice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was thinking about this last night. u probably answered this q already, but o well

so say i was making up my own little battle thing, could i (not like i would but could it happen) just say

"she took her sword out of its sheath, and plunged it through blah's unprotected back" and then they die? do u just write out something sentence by sentence with someone else and the fight will simply progress from there? [Confused]

--------------------
You pushed me into the dark pit of despair you had dug for yourself

-

Even now as I lie dead, I know it's only some wonderful dream

Posts: 4075 (0.63 per day) | From: none of your business | Registered: Nov 2001 (6386 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Hm, how should I explain this...?

Ok, here we go. The situation you described would probably go something like this (let's just say your character's name is Shueny):

*Shueny silently unsheathes her blade, raising it high into the air, and thrusting it downward, attempting to plunge it into <character>'s back!*

And then, using the battle system I described above, the victim would be able to decide whether or not they evaded the attack. As the battle progresses, the descriptions of attacks will become longer and more detailed, especially if you're using magic.

As for having characters die... I think thats up to the moderator. Usually, when a character dies in battle, they simply come back to life, unless they die for story purposes.

Eh... I hope that helps.

Oh, and another thing I want to add to the battle system: the more descriptive your attack, the better chance it has of succeeding, and the more powerful/damaging it will be if it suceeds.

[ July 26, 2002, 03:26: Message edited by: Mirai ]

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Mistress Malice  

Bitchy McSarcasm

Member # 342

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistress Malice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so will each post be about a sentence long for a battle sequence...or could be?

eh, ok i think i get it. im not sure if im gonna participate, may just watch for a bit. or do i have so jump in right away, or can i just whenever i feel it is a necessity?

--------------------
You pushed me into the dark pit of despair you had dug for yourself

-

Even now as I lie dead, I know it's only some wonderful dream

Posts: 4075 (0.63 per day) | From: none of your business | Registered: Nov 2001 (6386 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by shueny600:
so will each post be about a sentence long for a battle sequence...or could be?

No, no, you should try to make battle posts as long and decriptive as possible. But sometimes, certain actions in battle don't really require more than a sentence-long post.

Here, this is a battle from another role-playing forum I used to post at. They two characters figting, Fallen Angel and ISOS (his username on the forum is Auron) are considered two of the best roleplayers at that forum.

Fallen Angel vs. ISOS

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Shagi_Fighter Moderator 
Monkey See Monkey Do
Member # 443

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shagi_Fighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELLO HELLO

What is to stop someone from ducking an attack every time? Someone shoots me with a gun I'll say I duck it. Then they swing a sword but I jump over it in my reply. That wouldn't work out too well.

--------------------
 -

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” –Pope John Paul II

Posts: 5935 (0.94 per day) | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2002 (6260 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baphomet  
To Mega Therion
Member # 615

Rate Member
Because that's called "bunnying," and only newbies do it. You have to be fair in deciding what hits you and what doesn't.

--------------------
AHHhhHHH

OH GOD AHHHH

AHHGGGGHGHHHHG

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*