Horizon Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | Statistics | faq | forum home | Authority List | im | uploads | Games | Member Tree | calendar
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Horizon Forums   » Modern Wargame   » Modern Wargame   » Cold War (1961-1962) wargame... ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold War (1961-1962) wargame... ?
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking of this for quite some time... A wargame set in 1961 or 1962 with only two playable powers, the Soviet Union and United States (the mod will direct the non-player nations and random events etc..)

BUT each nation will have 4-5 players controlling it, a President, Director of Intellgence, Commander of ARmy, Navy, Airforce etc...

So that it can try and simulate a real nation with in-service rivarlies etc... people vying for power in their own nation..

Each nation will also have their own private forum (sorry no admins can play [Frown] ) where they can post their spying efforts etc.. intellgence gathering.. . new strategies..

in hte public thread you can list credits being spent on 'secret projects' and in ur private forum u can tell me (the mod) what u are spending it on (spying, recon, espinoage etc..) and i will go into the other nation's forum adnd get u a piece of intellgence (if ur spying or recon efforst are successful) and you can have your spies work inside your own nation to try and find enemy spies (if you do i will say in the public thread "Enemy spy found!" and the other nation will be embrassed and have to pull out)

this good be very interesting as the two super-powers try to politically corner each other, there will also be alot of random events

this game would run at the same time as all the other ones and it wouldn't effet any current games

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \
When ancient Rome was near defeat,
the invincible Tenth Legion was raised:
they beat the barbarians on the battlefield
and Rome gained peace with honour again.
When the traitor, on September the eighth,
left the fatherland in infamy,
the Tenth Flotilla was raised from the sea
and it brought weapons at the cry for honour!

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
you victorious on Alexandria,
Malta, Souda and Gibraltar,
you already victorious upon the sea,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

To you Italian ships, stolen from us
not in battle but by treason,
and to you, our prisoners and dead brothers,
we swear:
we swear that we'll came back,
let this be God's and the Flag's will.
We swear that we'll fight
until we obtain an honourable peace!

Posts: 7713 (1.18 per day) | From: NJ | Registered: May 2001 (6521 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-dkumral600-  
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -dkumral600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like the idea [Smile]

count me in

[ September 21, 2002, 18:51: Message edited by: -dkumral600- ]

--------------------
 -

-dk-

Posts: 2207 (0.33 per day) | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2001 (6502 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is an example of the Soviet aircraft unit list:

Soviet Units:

Aircraft/Helicopters:

Su-7 ‘Fitter-A’ Ground Attack Aircraft Unit: The Fitter-A is a single engine ground attack jet. It carries a 30mm cannon, rockets and bombs. It’s main role is to attack enemy ground units. It carries no anti-aircraft weapons. (Cost: 10)

Su-9 ‘Fishpot’ Fighter Aircraft Unit: The Su-9 is a modified Su-7 that carries anti-aircraft missiles and has longer range. Its main role is as a fighter and interceptor. (Cost: 12)

Su-15 ‘Flagon’ Interceptor Aircraft Unit: The Su-15 is a large twin-jet engine interceptor. It has long range and is fast. It carries a 30mm cannon and anti-aircraft missiles. Its main role is to intercept enemy bombers and attack aircraft. (Cost: 14)

Mig-19 ‘Farmer’ Fighter Aircraft Unit: The Mig-19 is a all single engine fighter. It carries a 30mm cannon and some anti-aircraft missiles. It is maneuverable though and cheap. Its main role is point defense and attacking enemy aircraft. (Cost: 8)

Mig-21 ‘Fishbed-F’ Fighter Aircraft Unit: The Mig-21F is the newest fighter in Soviet service. It has a single engine and is fast. It’s main armament is a 30mm cannon and several anti-aircraft missiles. The Fishbed’s primary mission is to attack enemy aircraft and defending Soviet airspace from American bombers. (Cost: 14)

Tu-28 ‘Firebar’ Fighter/Attack Aircraft Unit: The Tu-28 is a twin-engine fighter-bomber. It carries a 30mm cannon, rocket pods and bombs. Its main role is for attacking enemy ground and air targets. It isn’t as maneuverable as other Soviet fighters. (Cost: 11)

Tu-128 ‘Fiddler’ Interceptor Aircraft Unit: The Tu-28 is a very large long range interceptor. It isn’t very maneuverable but it carries long range anti-aircraft missiles. Its main mission is attacking enemy bombers and defending Soviet airspace. (Cost: 16)

Il-28 ‘Beagle’ Strike Bomber Unit: The Il-28 is a mid-sized twin engine strike bomber. It can carry a medium bomb load and it has cannons in the nose and tail for defense, but it is weak against enemy fighters. Its main role is striking tactical targets and enemy ground units. (Cost: 15)

Tu-16 ‘Badger-A’ Bomber Unit: The Tu-16 is a large twin-engine jet bomber. It carries several cannons for defense against enemy fighters and it can carry a large bomb load. Its main role is bombing enemy targets and cities. (Cost: 16, can carry 1 ‘plane dropped nuclear bomb load’)

Tu-16 ‘Badger-C’ Anti-Ship Bomber Unit: The Badger-C is a modified Badger-A that carries large anti-ship missiles instead of bombs. Its main role is attacking enemy ships and carriers. (Cost: 18)

Tu-22 ‘Blinder-A’ Strike Bomber Aircraft Unit: The Blinder is a fast bomber that carries only bombs. Its medium bomb load is good for attacking enemy bases and cities. It can outrun most enemy fighters but its weak against enemy SAMS. (Cost: 20)

Tu-95M ‘Bear-A’ Strategic Bomber Aircraft Unit: The Bear-A is a large 4-engine propeller driven heavy bomber. It has cannons on it to defend against enemy fighters and it can carry a large bomb load. Its main mission is attacking enemy cities and bases at long ranges. (Cost: 20, can carry 1 ‘plane dropped nuclear bomb load’)

M-4 ‘Bison-B’ Strategic Bomber Aircraft Unit: The Bison is a large jet powered heavy bomber. It carries several cannon for anti-aircraft defense but its main weapons are a large load of bombs. It can fly very far and is also nuclear capable. (Cost: 25, can carry 1 ‘plane dropped nuclear bomb load’)

An-12 ‘Cub’ Transport Aircraft Unit: The An-12 is a 4 engine propeller driven transport that carries no weapons. It can carry 1 ground unit. (Cost: 15, can carry 1 ground unit, may also drop ‘Paratrooper Infantry’ for airborne assaults)

Il-20 ‘Coot-A’ Anti-Submarine Patrol Aircraft Unit: The Il-20 is a converted airliner that carries depth charges and torpedoes for hunting enemy submarines. It has no anti-aircraft defensive armament. It is good at finding hidden enemy subs. (Cost: 17)

Mi-4 ‘Hound’ Assault Transport Helicopter Unit: The Mi-4 is a transport helicopter that can carry 1 Airborne Infantry Unit for landing assaults. It has no weapons. (Cost: 16, can carry 1 ‘Airborne Infantry Unit’)

Tu-16 ‘Badger-D’ Recon Aircraft Unit: The Badger-D is a modified Badger-A that carries cameras and recon equipment instead of bombs. It has only light cannons for anti-aircraft defense. Its main role is for recon and surveillance work. (Cost: 20, is recon aircraft

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Posts: 7713 (1.18 per day) | From: NJ | Registered: May 2001 (6521 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Ma$oN-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is actually very interesting, im in

--------------------
 -

Posts: 7550 (1.17 per day) | From: Shiorwa Middle School... | Registered: Sep 2001 (6415 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
this game probably wouldn't have any trade/factory rules etc.. it would be a pure war/politics/espionage game with many random events and such... each nation would start with a fixed amount of credits

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Jester89  
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jester89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in, I'm Soviet man. [Wink]

--------------------
 -

Check the Gaming News Topic for Up-to-Date Info On Games!

Posts: 1577 (0.25 per day) | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 (6081 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Ma$oN-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have time for this but dont have time for this one?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 7550 (1.17 per day) | From: Shiorwa Middle School... | Registered: Sep 2001 (6415 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jester89  
Member # 651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jester89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well when does this one begin?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1577 (0.25 per day) | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 (6081 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by -gbotto600-:
this game would run at the same time as all the other ones and it wouldn't effet any current games

--------------------
 -

Jester89  
Member # 651

Well, I can't do it then.

--------------------
 -

-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
most likely if enough people show interest this one will start within a week or so

@jester: you dont control an indivudal nation in this one, a group of people controls each nation (5-6 for each one) so even if you dont have time to be here every day or so you can still take part [Smile]

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Inquisitor Kenny  
Alucard's Lackey
Member # 176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Inquisitor Kenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm in, mesa be military retard for russia [Smile]

--------------------
 -

-

Posts: 2054 (0.31 per day) | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2001 (6443 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoddyVR  
Member # 660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoddyVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
that has to be the MOST COMMON LIE that people who like being mods tell.
i have heard at least 3 people say that (at CFC) and eveytime it has been a lie. Its not the mods' fault, they like to start new games but hate the work of keeping a game going, so naturaly they fool themselves into thinking that the new one will run at the same time and wont interfere with the older one.

i have to agree with mason:
you ALREADY dont have time for the WARGAME 4, how could you possibly be able to mod another game?
Fighter has been doing most of the outcomes in the Modern Wargame and more then once you have shown yourself to want to stay 'in the backround' and not do too much work in the wargame.

even though i think i might enjoy a game like this (though it will be VERY tough for you to balance it right) i wont join(and urge others not to) because you DONT have the time for it (or else you just lazy as a mod in which case all the more reason NOT to join)

sorry to be so harsh, but i REALY dont want the modern game to come crashing down cause the mods are too busy playing/modding another game. you started the game, you have a RESPOSIBILITY to the players to see it through.
i've been playing these types of games a LOT since the beggining of the summer and wargame 4 is the 2nd longest one i have been in (which, as statistics go, is pathetic)

--------------------
USA in Modern WarGame
Premier of the CCCP in the Cold War Game

Posts: 403 (0.06 per day) | From: Russian in USA | Registered: Aug 2002 (6067 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
i can easily do both games, this wouldn't be the first time

this game would be MUCH MORE balanced than the modern game, since there would only be two sides, if this game got going good i would shift more and more power to Fighter, the reason i didn't have much time to do many efforst into game4 was becuase i am playing and i was busy with school etc.. in this game i would not be playing and only need to be there for questions concerning rules etc..

i was 'outta the loop' for a few days when it came to game4 and the rule problem etc.. becasue i was busy and couldn't be arsed with dealing with people and petty problems, i think the problem arose when people wanted a way to 'legally' dispower theire enemies, its no coincidence these investigations begin 'suddenly' when the game gets hot and nations eye each other out [Wink]

isn't it strange the big trade controvery began when relations between the US/Israel and other nations soured... hmmm didn't think so [Wink]

and how the fuckl have i been 'not seeing it through' i have to deal with platyers every fucking day on AIM, a day doesn't paass where people aren't askling me questions, so dont say "you are ignoring the players" because i'm defiently FUCKING not [Roll Eyes]

"come crashing down"

errm there is 2 other games going on other htan this one and they haven't affected each other at all? how would this one?

totally diffrent time periods, totally diffrent equipment lines, totally diffrent style of game, this cold war game is gonna be WAYY diffrent from game4, theres no economy/trade/selling/factories to deal with, its pure wargame with some politics and spying thrown in, UK and me talked about this on AIM to many the extents

[Smile]

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
i am the sorry for saying word "fucking"

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Jester89  
Member # 651

I still won't be able to do it.

--------------------
 -

-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
why? judging from the time you have to post at CDV etc.. you have more than enough time to play as a Chief of ARmy or something [Confused]

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

RoddyVR  
Member # 660

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RoddyVR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glen you misunderstood me. when i said that the new game WOULD affect wargame 4, its NOT beacuse there would be people who are playing 4 games at once (modern, medivil, mob, and now civil) but because the MODERATOR would not have enough time to do both.

as you say you are bombarded with questions about rules in the Wargame, you have to do your own turns in it, i think you are also in the other 2 games here (i dont have a problem with that btw) and as you say, you are (at least sometimes) busy with school. so if you add ANOTHER game you ahve to mod (and i KNOW modding takes more time then playing a game) are you SURE you will have time enough for everything.
i am only playing in 3 games currently and i already have problems finding the time to do it all (and i sit at work looking like i'm working, but actualy doing the moves for one of the games)
every problem that comes up in EITHER game, you have to be involved, cause you're the MOD.
will you be able to handle all that?
maybe you will, i've never seen you try so i dont know, but from my experience with other mods (some good ones too) its almost impossible, they always lean more towards one of the games (usualy the newer one) because there just isnt enough time to do everything. and eventualy the players of the old game get tired of not being able to get ahold of the mod(quickly at least) and start quiting the game, THAT is when it comes crashing down.

--------------------
USA in Modern WarGame

Posts: 403 (0.06 per day) | From: Russian in USA | Registered: Aug 2002 (6067 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for -gbotto600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if this game starts up i will mod it aswell as game4, fighter will be the main mod for game4 (like he is currently) and i will also be there for questions and doing certain outcomes (big, complex ones, or ones involing two player nations etc..)

i can pull it off

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Jason the King  
Member # 657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason the King     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though I am not a big player here at Hroizon, I have been watching games and am in the Medieve one and tried to get into the game4, and have a little advise from one MOD to another (i mod occasionally on CFC). DO NOT think you can do two! IT is nearly impossible. I tried to do it on CFC with a fantasy and civil wargame one, and then both died from not having enough time.

Problems are:
1.) you mix up player between the two games
2.) you begin thinking orders (or questions in your case) are for a one game when they are really for another
3.) you DO NOT have enough time for all the questions and modding duties, even if you have no life (not saying that you dont)
4.) You begin mixing up or forgetting rules between the two games.
5.) you use a different word file that has saved units and such for different games, or basically just mixing up files between the games.

I hope i have helped pursuade you to just wait until game4 has died to start up another. Oh, and I am currently in too many NES's and wont play (like it woudl be a big miss.lol).

-Jason

--------------------
US NAVY: THE BADDEST NAVY IN THE WORLD
Play my NES's at Civfanatics NES forums!
Support our Troops! Put the Flag in your Sig!
 -
Thx to www.3dflags.com

Posts: 243 (0.04 per day) | From: Bay Area, California | Registered: Aug 2002 (6068 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-gbotto600-  
Addicted Member
Member # 155

Rate Member
im not the main mod for game4, fighter is..

--------------------
Decima MAS
 -  - \

Oh our Tenth Flotilla,
you that mocked England,
now even on the dry land
you will win!

we swear:

Jester89  
Member # 651

Ok, I will be the head of the military type guy for the Reds.

BTW, CDV has been down for the past 12 hours.

--------------------
 -

RoddyVR  
Member # 660

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by -gbotto600-:
im not the main mod for game4, fighter is..

thats not the impression you gave in the 'timing of trade units' thread. lol
have fun with your game, hope you're right and you CAN handle 2.

my last post on this particular subject. i promise

--------------------
USA in Modern WarGame

-dkumral600-  
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -dkumral600-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would like to be the US president [Big Grin]

--------------------
 -

-dk-

Posts: 2207 (0.33 per day) | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2001 (6502 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Ma$oN-  

Terrorist

Member # 600

Member Rated:
Castro [Smile]

--------------------
 -

Demetrias  
Member # 658

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Demetrias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would like to be Director of Intelligence or Navy which ever one is available.

--------------------
" There is always two a master and an apprentice."
Don Rapheal Fiore

Posts: 212 (0.03 per day) | From: Laporte, Texas | Registered: Aug 2002 (6067 days)  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jester89  
Member # 651

Okay, I'll play. But can I be the head of all military for the Red's?

--------------------
 -

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic

Quick Reply

SmileFrownEmbarrassedBig GrinWinkRazzCoolRoll EyesMadEek!ConfusedangerImage22rolling_eyes
Bold - UBB CodeQuote - UBB CodeItalics - UBB CodeInsert Email Address - UBB Code
Image - UBB CodeInsert URL Hyperlink - UBB Code

- Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | HOME | *Daily Topics*